Saturday, March 25, 2017

Go Figure

 

This is the figure project starting with a 1/12 scale armature I made once and never used.  The white arms were epoxy putty of another brand to re-enforce the wire, and some you can't see for the  upper torso and pelvic area (leaving the lower torso free for positioning).   Mod Podge was used to coat the wire so the putty would adhere to it.  I've covered that in standard yellow-grey Milliput.  Three sessions: first, just a blob on each foot to see how well it blends and hardens, and to secure the ankles.  I have cardstock cutouts for the soles of the shoes, as a guide for getting the shapes right.  Each session takes roughly three hours to cure but I give them a little longer.  Second session was the legs, upper arms, and Paperclay on the lower torso.  Third session was the joints (to secure a pose based on a screencap) and more on the torso. 

The rough=hewn disc is 1mm plastic sheet, which will be the beginning of a base.

The  fingers are going to be so thin that I think I need to do them separately in polymer clay like Sculpey.  I could leave them until last by making open-ended sleeves and gluing the finished hands into them, but it will look more natural to attach the finished hands and then blend the wrists before making the sleeves.




Fourth session, this morning. Yes, the pose looks a bit awkward from this angle.  That's okay, it's meant to.  The head hasn't been positioned yet.  I'm thinking next I will try filling in some of the volume with Paperclay. 

Not having adverse reactions to the Milliput, as I did with the Aves. 

Need to go buy more Sculpey for the figures for Jesseca.  Female figure's breasts look too large but I haven't got the arms  folded down yet.  Or even started, they're still just pipecleaners waiting for clay. Also, these figures are done in Jesseca's signature style, so they're highly stylized.  I should ask  her to send me a design for a standing figure, I'd love to try that.  For now I have to do the arms and try the details of the clothing before I bake.  I can set her on the throne for short intervals for fitting, but not leave her there.  Sculpey melts plastic if its not baked.  I accidentally allowed plastic tool to sit on some, and they turned into a puddle of mutual goo.



(later) Not much change, but the pose needed to be exaggerated a bit.  I've held the feet down flat and built them a little, added to the hips and ankles. 


One reference point for shape, as mentioned in a previous post, is Aurora's Monsters of the Movies series of 1/12th scale figure kits.  I have only two of them, Dracula and Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde.  The J/H has interchangeable heads in glow plastic.  The MotM series was introduced when Nabisco bought out Aurora and then sabotaged their sales by replacing the wonderfully sculpted regular line with these stiff, simplistic snap kits.  Aurora folded not long after.  They're not bad kits, I just happen to have the two least expressive from among them.  Part of Jekylls' hand is not evident in he shot, but I have it around somewhere.  Dracula's has flash (excess plastic from the casting process) that hasn't been trimmed yet.



Current music: Pretty Little Head by Eliza Rickman


No comments:

Post a Comment