Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Sexual predation, Weinstein, and supporting the Me Too wave

I seem to have stepped in it again.  Not with Dana this time, at least.

With the outing of Harvey Weinstein as a monster, women everywhere are speaking up in solidarity. It's the Me Too movement, growing like a tsunami.  I hope it sweeps the world.

This is not a time for men to be speaking.  This is a time for men to be listening.  That said, men need to be openly supportive of this tidal wave.  Stand up.

I've known three women in my life who were sexually molested, two more who probably were but haven't told me so, and the odds  are I've known even more without being aware of it.  Two of my nieces were stalked by a known rapist as they traveled to and from grade school.  Fortunately, they were never touched as the family grew vigilant.

One of these women posted a "Me Too" to Facebook.  I didn't feel right about commenting (besides which, what would I say?)  but also felt it wrong to do what so many do - ignore it.  Ignoring it is part of the problem, part of the culture that allows predation to continue.  So I joined the dozens who gave a 'thumbs-up' like in support.

This morning the post was invisible, and I had a message from Facebook advising me on privacy issues.  So, I'm a bit confused and not sure why I was wrong, only that I apparently was.  Not complaining, I want to do  right by my friend.  The lecture didn't illuminate the situation, advising that should the author of the comment choose to make it public then my support would be public as well - and, gosh,  wouldn't I find that embarrassing?

Ummm...no.  FUCK no!  Goddammit, fuck no!!  No I am not embarrassed to stand against sexual predators and the conspiracy of silence that abets them.  What I'm embarrassed by and ashamed of is having possibly hurt someone I care about by being clumsily intrusive on a matter that is deeply  personal and painful.  I'm proud of her for standing up and speaking out.

(edit) Here's something worth reading, an article by Wagatwe Sara Wanjuki on why she made the personal choice not to join the Me Too movement.  She supports it, but feels the focus is mistaken.  The basis for her choice is a belief that men already know how widespread the problem is and do nothing about it.  I disagree with her belief, I think most men are truly blind to it.  Still, her piece speaks to a concern of mine, which is getting men into the discussion of how to address it.  The commentary section is very much worth consideration.  See, I'm hoping the Me Too wave keeps building until it can no longer be denied.

No comments:

Post a Comment