Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Uncle Sham




This is my reaction to living under the horror of Trump's America as we struggle to decide whether to save democracy or sell out to fascist dictatorship or Putin.  I really don't know who is going to win.  Kudos to you if you recognize the pop culture ref.

I've done a few things in color over the years but this is the first one I was fully happy with.  9x11.5 inches, watercolor pencil on drawing paper.  



I've just learned that Keith Olbermann is back.  Olbermann is my favorite political commentator - was about to say second favorite, but Rachel Maddow is my favorite political analyst, an important distinction.  Olbermann is as incisive as he is acidic, and unfortunately for America he has been his own worst enemy with a quick temper and an ego big enough to trip over, and descends to personal attacks too easily even against those on his own side.  These flaws keep getting him fired and silenced.  Even so, I've been lamenting his absence ever since the most recent presidential election began. If ever we needed KO's voice it's now.  And here he is.  This takedown is beautiful to behold:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCcw2sPlplY 
So is this 18-minute piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQueaSlvjCw  

Unlike, say, Jon Stewart, Olbermann has no innate sense of when to tone it down, to reign himself in for the sake of the message.  But, y'know, unadulterated righteous outrage is necessary too.  Nobody does it as spellbindingly or eruditely as Olbermann.



4304, I'm sure I had that right.

No comments:

Post a Comment